Tuesday, January 5, 2021

MISSION HAPPINESS


I served the Bank for thirty-five years. It provided me bread and butter and gave me a respectable place in the society. As I was nearing my retirement, a thought of giving back came to my mind. I wanted to make others happy.

Laughter yoga generates a lot of feel good hormones, positive vibes, and cheer. It is a unique concept where any one can laugh for no reason, without the use of jokes, comedy, or humour. I learned the art and science of laughter yoga along with my wife and we soon practised it in small and large groups. We conducted laughter sessions for Nestle, Abercrombie & Kent, Airports Authority of India, schools and colleges, international students, and, of course, our own Bank. It gave us great satisfaction and fulfilment.

Positive psychology is the modern science of happiness. I was always fascinated by it and studied it in great depth after retirement. It taught me to engage deeply in work, play and parenting and to devote my life to a meaningful purpose. We thought of giving even more to the people around us for which we travelled to the Himalayas to learn yoga and meditation.

The Buddha always inspired me, and I wanted to go deeper and deeper into his teachings. It was like a vast ocean and a small drop from the Dhammapada was sufficient to quench my spiritual thirst:

“Abstain from all unwholesome deeds,

Perform wholesome ones,

Purify your mind.

This is the teaching of the Enlightened Ones.”

We conduct sessions on happiness and well-being in the neighbourhood and wherever we are invited. These sessions include inputs from positive psychology, laughter yoga, yoga, meditation, and spirituality. We feel happy and content serving our fellow beings. At the same time, these exercises keep us fit too. Our gratitude to the Bank that provides us safety and security even at this age.

 

-       Jagat Singh Bisht 

No comments:

Post a Comment